The Donaldson Lithographing Company started out as a small lithographing business based in Cincinnati, Ohio (August 10 1863). William M. Donaldson and Henry Elms founded the company as partners until Elm’s death in 1872. After Elm’s death, Donaldson was left to be solely in charge of the company. In 1883, Donaldson officially incorporated the business as Donaldson Lithograph Company. The company flourished after relocating to Newport, Kentucky in 1898. Donaldson added another location in Covington, Kentucky that specialized in creating art signs. William Donaldson died in 1931 on the 22nd of October. He was 91. The company stayed in the family until 1981.