Leopold Fertbauer was a son of Viennese clock maker Philipp Fertbauer (1763-1820) and nephew of Viennese artist Leopold Lieb. In 1816-1820 he studied at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts - first landscape painting under Albert Christoph Dies and Joseph Moessmer, later historical drawing under Franz Caucig and Anton Petter.
In 1836 he became custodian of Liechtenstein Gallery in Vienna and in 1862 was retired as "Princely Liechtenstein Gallery Directions-Chief-Adjunct". He was mainly active as an artist of small size portraits of Vienna bourgeosie of Biedemeier period. Sometimes he made also genre and religios paintings. From 1822 to 1835 he regulary participated in Vienna's academical exhibitions. Works of his can be seen in Austrian National Gallery "Belvedere" and other important museums in Austria and abroad.