Walter Gamerith studied at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna under Karl Sterrer. He left the academy in 1930. Gamerith then traveled to Europe and from 1934 exhibited portraits, nudes and landscapes in the Vienna Künstlerhaus , which elected him a member in 1939. In addition to Parisian and Italian motifs, his subjects also included studies from Attersee and Eggenburg. In 1939 he participated in an Austrian show in Berlin. In 1944 there was a collective exhibition with 46 works in the Künstlerhaus.